Carrot & Walnut Cake

10:53 khadijamuzaffar 0 Comments


Usually, I don't eat carrot cake. When I do, I like it with cream cheese frosting. BUT. I had a major mind blown moment the other day when I learnt how to make this cake. To be fair tho, I feel like its more like banana bread, but with carrots, as opposed to actual cake. Prolly cause of the walnuts and brown sugar. But who cares as long as it tastes like heaven??



Our tale begins with some orange carrots that I discovered were not all that easy to grate :/ What can I say, I'm weak ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So now two things that I very much dislike are grating carrots (or anything, really) and shredding boiled/steamed chicken. So much dislike :(


Oh look at that. Another GIF. This time I'm squeezing the bejesus out of my grated carrots. Such is life. I'm planning a scavenger hunt today for my friends and I. Except for the fact that I have no prior scavenger hunt knowledge, I'm doing good. Isn't a scavenger hunt like a treasure hunt, but you dont really have to hide anything cause its already hidden? Hmm I thought so too.



I love these white flowers, I don't know what they're called, but they're so pretty. These days I'm really into flowers and rustic bouqets, not the flashy kind with shiny sparkly paper, but the ones using brown paper sheets, or that white buttery paper locally known as guddi kaaghaz (literally 'kite paper'). 
This is the kind of cake that doesn't need a glaze or frosting or anything really, but it becomes a truly wonderful treat if you plop on a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a warm slice :') Seriously heavenly. In fact, that is what I had for breakfast and lunch today :p

CARROT & WALNUT CAKE RECIPE
  • 2 eggs
  • 250 g brown sugar
  • 140 ml oil
  • 250 g flour
  • 50 g walnuts, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 250 g grated carrots
(I tried to write the ingredients list in order of what goes first, but it looks so messy, no? :/)

First off, you need to grate the carrots. I know, I know, but someone's gotta do it. Carrots done? Grate xD Okay sorry, moving on. Squeeze all the water out of the carrots. Then, in a bowl, beat the eggs and brown sugar until it pales a bit, after which add the oil. Mix well. Add everything except the carrots, mix well. If your beater cant handle it cause its too thick, shift to a spoon. Add the carrots, fold 'em in. Oil and dust a pan with flour, and spoon the batter in and dont leave in any gaps. Okay? Thanks.
Oh and bake this for around 40 minutes, OR until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean. Eat warm with (or without, im not your mom) ice cream, or eat cold. This cake is brilliant either way. 


And here is Chip, the king of flowers-that-have-been-used-to-decorate-cake. He's so moody and camera shy :/ Anyway, hope you try this cake. Stay safe, stay happy and stay kind!
xxx
Khadija

0 comments:

I would love to hear from you. Let me know what you think!