The best way to watch Star Wars.

01:32 khadijamuzaffar 2 Comments


As someone who only just recently saw the entire Star Wars Saga, let me just say this:

DO NOT JUDGE THIS MASTERPIECE BY YOUR APPARENT DISLIKE OF SPACE OPERA'S OR SCIENCE-TYPE MOVIES!!!

No seriously, thats what I did at first. "Oh no Star Wars, it's set in space so it must be science-fiction and absolutely boring!" WRONG.
Sure, its set in space, but it is NOT a science fiction thing at all. It's about adventure, and it will shock you, make you laugh, make you cry and just about make you wish you were part of this goddamn beauty. YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS. NOW! (Of course I'm not forcing you, I'm not your mother.) (But am I your father? :')

Before i saw the movies, I did a little bit of research about the order in which the movies were released, the order they took place in, and the order I, a newcomer, should watch them. It was confusing. I was confused between two orders that sounded equally appealing. SO below, I have a short and hopefully helpful guide on the best viewing order for newbies.

So lets start with a list of the movies in the order they were released. 

  • Episode IV: A New Hope
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
  • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
  • Episode I: The Phantom Menace
  • Episode II: Attack of The Clones
  • Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

So basically, the order is 4,5,6,1,2,3. (In terms of episodes)
Episodes 4, 5 and 6 are referred to as the Original Trilogy. Episodes 1, 2 and 3 are the Prequel Trilogy.
(PS: The Sequel Trilogy- eps 7,8,9 are in talk and in fact episode VII(7) releases on December 18th, 2015!!!!)

Order 1: Release Order
This order is basically just viewing the films in the order they were released. 4,5,6,1,2,3. Now I'm a fan of this order, because:
  1. None of the plot twists and story-shockers are ruined.
  2. You end up going "OH MY GODDD WHAAAATTTTTT :O"
  3. They were released in this order for a reason, so lets just try to honor that, alright?
Some people argued however that the downside of this order is that it ends on a VERY depressing note (episode 3). However, I think that shouldn't be too worrisome, because you have the comfort of knowing that episodes 4, 5 and 6 follow soon after, so izz okay.

Order 2: Chronologically
So this would be 1,2,3,4,5,6. In order of events. Not a good order according to me, because then the shock factor decreases by tenfold, because you see everything happening. When Luke is busy denying the sad truth about his pappy, we're all like, yeah dude we saw it happen, accept it you must. So, I don't really like this order. 

Order 3: Flashback Order
This is an interesting order, but possibly not for first-time watchers. The order is 4,5,1,2,3,6. So you watch episodes 4 and 5, then you watch 1, 2 and 3 as a flashback and then seal it off with episode 6 and end it with a bang. I was actually double minded between this order and order number 1. But see, the thing is, while you don't miss out on a lot of the shockers, you do miss out on a few. And I feel like it doesn't do justice to the grandeur and the feeling of WHAT THE HELL, HOW DID I NOT SEE THAT as well as the first order. 

VERDICT: No doubt, Order 1 is my favorite and the one you should follow. Because thats what the director wanted! Thats the order we were meant to see. And thats the order you will enjoy the most! 

I REALLY hope you go out and download/buy the six Star Wars movies AND WATCH THEM ASAP. You will not regret it, I promise you! 

For those who HAVE seen them, what order is your favorite, and have you read the Star Wars Novels/Comics?
xxx
Khadija.

2 comments:

I would love to hear from you. Let me know what you think!